Thursday 12 March 2009

Crisis management

OK, so I missed the class this week, but I have been doing a bit of reading about crisis management, so that's OK. Actually I've been reading about issues management, which is similar, except that you should be able to see it coming. The book I've been reading has the sexy title of Strategic Issues Management. Here is a picture of the cover:


Slinky no? The author argues that most crises are actually issues that an organisation has failed to address which, if the case studies in my corporate communications class are anything to go by, is a view borne out by reality. Krysten's talk on the remarkable implosion of Peanut Corporation of America has stuck in my head as a case of a business is unwilling to look further than the end of its nose. I am reminded of Seymour and Moore who talks of "cobra" problems, which strike rapidly and without warning, and "python" problems which slowly strangle the life out of you. Just how many of the crises facing organisations could have been averted by proper planning and risk management?


Nonetheless, real and unavoidable crises do happen, and business contingencies have to be made. The first rule is to have a crisis team ready to be committed to the problem - I've been in offices when crises hit, and the havoc they can wreak on management is unreal. The second is to act decisively, partly because the problem needs to get sorted, and partly because people are judging you according to how swiftly you deal with it. The third, from the point of view of communications, is to accept that the press want a story and to give them one: Why did it happen? Who is responsible? What are you doing about it? How do we know this isn't going to happen again?

I'd like to read more about the use of resignations in the wake of a crisis - can anyone recommend any literature on the subject? From the point of view of the onlooker, there's something comfortingly wholesome and genuine about resignations. Nothing says "I'm sorry" quite like spot of early retirement. I for one would like to see more of it.

No comments:

Post a Comment