Thursday 26 March 2009

Six months on...

I have to say I found the last class of the course a bit of a strange experience. While the intention was to end on a reflective note, sometimes reflection can be a bit like eating your own face.


The teams debated the question of whether employers value PR degrees, and while this was entertaining enough, it brought back some home truths - employers really just want raw workplace experience, or at least the willingness to work for nothing until you have it. This made me reflect on whether I would have done better just doing a few internships, saving the PR reading for my spare time. Of course employers in this country don't want academically trained PR types, when all academia trains you to do is think too hard about boring things.

I was, however, pleased and heartened to hear that one of my classmates has been promoted, in part because of his qualification. Interestingly, it also seems that in some other countries, employers actually favour degrees. So its not all doom and gloom (if I'm willing to up shop to some far off country).

Perhaps I'm being too negative about this. Really all this class made me want to do was to get out there and actually get a job. I certainly feel a lot more confident, I know about all kinds of new stuff, and I've picked up some bitchin Adobe and copywriting skills. If PR agencies don't want to employ me for more than 16 grand, that's their loss. I'm definitely better than I was 6 months ago, so why not go for it?

2 comments:

  1. Good luck with your future career.
    I am sure you can find a very well paid job and certainly more than 16 grand. =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Luke, is there any chance I could get your mail address? I want to contact you about the question of limitations in PR.

    ingblia@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete